Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Drawing in Public 3





There were a lot of people out today, almost too many. I had a hard time concentrating on what I was drawing, every time I started a sketch I would see another person more interesting to draw. A small group sat in front of me half way through, and one of the guys had a big funny mustache which I had to draw. These sketches were inspired by them.


One of the main things I have noticed is that I struggle with my approach to life drawing. I can't decide whether I should concentrate on capturing a good likeness or capturing a good pose. Ideally I would like to do both, but I find that I am usually able to do one better then the other, depending on what is more appealing to me at the time. In this case, capturing likeness was more of a concern, although for all you know, they may look nothing like the people.


I had a good amount of time to study my unknowing drawing subjects which always seems to make my drawings boring. I start drawing whats in front of me, as if I were back in school in a formal life drawing class. In these cases I feel time is the enemy and spontaneity is key for what I want to accomplish. I want to concentrate more on capturing mood and personality through the pose. I will work on these points and try to apply them next time.