Monday, September 20, 2010

San Gabriel Valley Comic Book Festival


We had an awesome time at SGVCBF (Although the name is super long). This was our first time showing our work in public, outside a digital realm. The reaction was very positive for the small amount of stuff we had, just some postcards, stickers and printed artwork. Everybody was super supportive and friendly, they made us feel very welcomed.


A special thanks to Grasiela Rodriguez who organized the entire event and with whom we were lucky enough to share a table with. She was promoting her first comic "Lunatic Fringe". It was nice being next to someone who is just starting out like us.




We saw a lot of familiar faces including my recent DIY comic instructor Javier Hernandez creator of El Muerto. He had some awesome sketch dolls of his character and others. I was lucky enough to pick up one of the first at geek con. I am looking forward to hearing his latest Podcast "Javiland"!







I was able to talk to Sherm Cohen a character designer I only recently discovered and now greatly admire. He showed me his sketch book that was filled with the most beautiful character drawings. I also hit up Jim Lujan and talked to him about Ghettomation. I scored an awesome freekdaddy poster, which is one of my favorite animations by Jim. There were so many others, some I met before, others I met for the first time. It's really great being in a community of like minded creatives.




Art Lopez finished off the event with a great live painting of his sculpture.


I can't wait for next year. It was a good start for us. Now it's time to get ready for the Long Beach Comic Con!