Monday, July 12, 2010

What is Forever Freshman? / New Logo

Forever freshman is a celebration of the underdogs, freaks, geeks, nerds, misfits and outcasts. Which is pretty much everybody! We've all been in awkward situations, picked on, rejected or humiliated (or all of the above). These experiences help define who we are and shape our lives. For every new situation, challenge and endeavor we become freshman all over again. Figuring things out and making mistakes along the way, but hopefully learning and becoming better people.

That's all nice and good, but I still don't know what the hell it is!?!?

We are telling our story through a comic book/comic strips roughly based on the lives of an adolescent Neil Segura and Ray Mendivil. It takes place in a working class suburb of LA in which we grew up and includes many equally peculiar friends. The comic strips will be posted online at www.foreverfreshman.com (Coming Soon) and we will be printing out a full length comic book as well. Aside from the comics we plan on creating other outlets such as, music, stickers, shirts, art, podcasts and animation just to name a few. All based on the characters from Forever Freshman. Our hope is to create a brand for everyone and anyone brave enough to embrace a grassroots/do it yourself culture. It's about choosing your own path and being an individual.

So, I spent all weekend drawing and designing this logo. One of the biggest challenges was designing the text in an unfamiliar style. I wanted it to be kinda graffitish, fun, cartoony look. I wasn't getting what I wanted using any type font so I decided to draw it out myself, which wasn't the easiest thing for me to do but after many failures I got something I was happy with. I decided to add some other design elements to better communicate what Forever Freshman is all about, but tried to keep the title treatment as the main focus. The other stuff is more for embelishment, but still designed to compliment the logo.